Mama G at Mom to the Left has nominated my blog as a Thinkers Blog. She does a good job of explaining what it’s about (you nominate five, and then they nominate five, and so on and so on–and you get a cool thing to display on your blog if you are so inclined). MamaG has also nominated a few I would include (hat tips to Ms. Kitty, Sunflowers, and Peacebang), so I will nominate the following, in no particular order:
1. The Journey: Well, this is in a particular order. I was drawn to The Journey early in my journey into the UU blogworld, and Lizard Eater has been an inspiration to me, and, though she won’t see it this way, a kick in the pants. I remember reading an Anne Lamott essay where she finally makes fun of herself after realizing she has been complaining of a headache to a friend with a brain tumor. Her friend, however, is kind and gentle and never says a thing about it. That’s how I feel when I hear from Lizard Eater, either on this blog or in her own. I mean, how much can I complain about my healthy albeit annoying children when I read about how she is putting one foot in front of another despite and because of her baby’s cancer. And still, she has a wicked sense of humor and she writes really, really well. Read her blog. You’ll think twice, and then some more.
2. RadicalMama: Well, there’s stuff I thought I thought about, then there’s Radicalmama’s blog that not only reminds me, but kicks me into gear. I first “met” Radical Mama through the “Real Moms” meme, where she questioned the whole notion of there being an “unreal” mom. I really liked her insight, her wit, her being just downright real about what is real. And, she made me think. I liked that and I told her so. She’s become a frequent commenter here…and I like that, too.
3. Kaleigh at The Musings of Another Working Mom: I think she and RadicalMama are twins separated at birth. They both have great outlooks on raising kids and being women, and being wives. So check this one out, too. And I love love love having contact with other feminist moms through the blog world (since I don’t meet many–or at least any who call themselves such–here in my little corner in Northwest Indiana).
4. Surviving the Workday: More great feminist stuff here, not to mention ecological and just-remember-how-to-behave-at-work stuff. Like this one a lot.
5. Okay, now I have to really narrow it. This last one surprises even me. But the idea is to tag blogs that make you think, and here, especially in UU blogworld, sometimes I have to think outside the “all liberal all the time” box. There are a few conservative UU bloggers that make me think–whether I agree with them or not is of no consequence. That they force me to look at things from different perspectives is of great signficance. So, my choices for this are: CUUMBAYA and Chaliceblog.
There are other blogs I like a lot that I go to as soon as I see they have updated material, but I just can’t name them all here. I especially love the blogs of the seminarians who offer a peek into the strange world that is ministerial formation–and have especially been awed by those who are blogging about their search process. What a hard place to be for them: not exactly congregants and not exactly ministers. It’s a tender place to be and I’d just like to shout out to all of them how much I appreciate them and the hard work they are doing now.
Finally, thank you to Mama G (and I wish I could figure out how to comment on your blog…I want to often but am not allowed). I’m surprised and honored by the nomination. Blessings….